About the youth foundation:
We work with kids and teenagers of parents who are or have been formerly incarcerated with the goal that these kids may grow up to become productive members of society. We support each student's physical, psychological, behavioral, educational, and professional development while cultivating a better quality of life. The participants come to the foundation for education, psychological support, and nutrition, as well as to receive help with life skills and strategies for reintegration into society.
- Organize and lead different activities and/or courses that generate both an educational and caring atmosphere
- Create a strategy to engage kids with a fixed schedule in a manner that is enjoyable for them
- Build a positive strategy towards self-improvement
- Help them identify life opportunities and lifestyle changes
- Assist instructors in their daily programs
The most important requirement is that the intern has a sincere passion for working with and inspiring youth.
How is Awaken different?
This is not your typical volunteer placement. We are a mix of foreigners and Ecuadorians, living and working together. Live in the Awaken house with your new Awaken family. Spend your time volunteering and working among a new culture, learning to communicate in a different language. Help these children and their families reach a new way of life. Because we are a fairly small organization, you will jump right in with real responsibilities. Outside of work, explore and have fun with us.
- Refine your soft skills, such as empathy, creativity, communication, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Learn how to communicate in another language
- Gain hands-on youth development experience, which is applicable to many fields: psychology, education, social work, medicine, law, non-profit sector, international development
- Safe, spacious house during entire stay - includes all amenities (Wifi, hot water, gas, light, kitchen, washer, dryer)
- Transportation to and from airport
- Breakfast Monday-Friday
- Tour of Quito upon arrival
- One cultural activity a week
- Internship availability year-round
- Duration of internship is what you desire (although most youth development interns typically come between 3 weeks - 3 months)
- You will be responsible for flight, food, housing, and any excursions/travel you want to do
- Awaken has a family concept; therefore interns live in the Awaken house with us. We want to be sure that you experience what Awaken is all about and that you have the opportunity to dive into life with an Ecuadorean family and truly experience the culture of Ecuador!