Children of the Mekong needs a Project Manager to prepare the stay and welcome two graduated students from Cambodia for a 3 months scholarship in London.
Children of the Mekong is a London based charity, which aims to improve the standards and accessibility of education in Southeast Asia. We are the UK branch of Enfants du Mekong, a French charity founded in 1958, and run a charity shop in Clapham, South West London. Our office is located in the basement of the shop.
Enfants du Mekong runs a University Centre in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The Centre Docteur Christophe Merieux provides access to University education to 160 students from poor family background. In addition to the University fees and full boarding, the centre also provides academic and non-academic activities all year long to help the students becoming responsible, helpful and well-balanced young men and women. [###########]
Children of the Mekong, in partnership with a leading French investment bank, has successfully run a pilot project of a Scholarship in the Fall of 2017. We have renewed the Scholarship in Fall 2019 and this year again in Fall 2019. The Scholarship gives two Cambodian students sponsored by Children of the Mekong the opportunity to live and study in London for three months from November 2019.
The purpose is to provide a life changing experience to outstanding students who are showing above average leadership potential and help them make a real and measurable impact on their environment.
This internship is a unique opportunity for a well organised student to play a major role in the success of this Scholarship for deserving young Cambodian.
The candidate will work as part of a team of 5 in the Clapham charity shop and office, and will have exposure to senior executives of the investment bank as well as an international exposure with other members of Children of the Mekong in Paris and Cambodia.
The role reports to Eugenie Munakarmi, COO of Children of the Mekong. Your responsibilities will be two-fold; preparing the stay of the youths in London prior their arrival, and chaperone them during their stay in London.
1) Preparing the stay of the youths in London prior their arrival (September and October)
- Prepare the visa application documents.
- Support the team in Centre Docteur Christophe Merieux, Phnom Penh, for the visa application process and other administrative details such as flight and international insurance.
- Negotiate with various stakeholders in London to get discounts or pro bono on: accommodation, English courses, travel cards, SIM card, leisure activities...
- Book accommodation, English courses and prepare the youths’ arrival.
2) Chaperone them during their stay in London (November to January)
- Coordinate with a corporate programme to welcome the students.
- Organise the “Welcome week” in London with activities to help the students familiarise themselves with London, the food and climate. E.g. sightseeing, meetings with COTM team, etc.
- Organise activities and events to broaden their mind such as school talks, meet MPs, taking part in conferences, visit entrepreneurial hubs etc.
- Take part in the organisation of fundraising events
- Make sure that the students are having everything they need during their stay in London. You will also take part to the running of the charity shop in support of the team. This will include: - Running the till (including sales, opening and closing)
- Advising customers - Sorting and displaying donations - Creating the shop window display - Cleaning and tidying.
Required profile :
Candidates are last year of Bachelor or Master students in business school or university.
The suitable candidates will have strong organisation skills, a good work ethic and be able to take initiative. An open and caring attitude towards people is essential.
Length: 4 to 6 months, starting September 2019
Allowance: £500 monthly for every full month completed + transport card and sim
For more information about Children of the Mekong,
please visit [###########] ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you wish to apply, please send your CV and cover letter to Eugenie Munakarmi: [###########] or [###########]