How to create a cover letter that rocks
Do not underestimate the power of the cover letter. It is often your first ever written contact with an employer – its importance is not to be ignored. You should allocate enough time to create a cover letter that perfectly reflects your qualifications, your industry and most importantly it should perfectly reflect you.
Cover letters are not just an abstract or smaller version of your resume. It is a chance for you to highlight your key attributes and allow a little of your personality to shine through.
How I start to writte my cover letter
Your cover letter should always contain the following :
Your name and contact details – how else will you be offered the position?
- Explain the position you are applying for and how you heard about it – if you are lucky enough to have one!
- State your credentials and what it is you can offer the employer and the company.
- And lastly, always, always, always thank them for their time in considering your application.
Cover letters should be kept to one page in length. However, employers will sometimes request that you include answers to questions or to provide further specific information, in which case, it would be appropriate to use further pages.
The point is, keep it simple.
- Your cover letter should be logically formatted and structured. It should always contain an introduction, main body and conclusion.
- Use headings and different styles and to break up the structure.
- Keep sentences and paragraphs short and succinct.
- Do not use over-the-top, fancy language.
Most of the time more than one person within a company will read your cover letter and resume during your job application process. So your cover letter must, not only, be perfect for the CEO but also for their secretary, HR recruiters and their managers, and anyone else privy to the information along the way.
A great cover letter will be able to grab the attention of a variety of people and they should feel a connection and a sense of understanding of you in some way.
Internshipmapper is a career portal for students and graduates. We also provide range of graduate recruitment services to help sourcing candidates for internships or graduate jobs, and giving out graduate careers advice. To hire graduates or browse graduate jobs, visit their website.